Monday, February 2, 2009

Felting the felt from Colonial Crafts


Alright I confess, I also can't control my shopping for wool felt. I have a hard time finding it in our local shops, so I have found this wonderful shop online "Colonial Crafts". This shop has every color a wool felt lover could dream of and you can buy it by the yard or smaller pieces. Saturday the postman delivered my latest batch! It comes so pretty, wrapped in a little bow! Sunday I spent the day felting my felt! It's pretty simple, just time consuming!



Fill the sink with HOT water. DO NOT mix colors as they bleed. Let the felt soak for a few minutes, then transfer to a sink full of COLD water, rinse until water is clear. Gently wring out the felt. I have put my flet in the spin cycle of my washing mashine and it doesn't seem to hurt it! Also my original directions were to air dry the felt, hmmm, I am too impatient for that and throw it in the dryer with a fabric softener sheet because wet felt stinks. It has an oily, wet hair kind of scent!
Voila! Nice soft, good smelling felt!

8 comments:

Waterrose said...

Oh I've gotten wool from there as well...haven't visited there in a while..because I also have no will power!

jealousydesign said...

I am always so jealous of all you people who plays around with felt/wool, I wish I could atleast try it. It looks so fun!

glasfaden said...

Woww.. you put such an effort on it. I would never thought of washing bought felt before using it. But here in Germany most of those felt are non-wool felt, I think.

noodle and lou said...

How fun! Makes me want to start felting! Beautiful colors:)

X by Leina Neima said...

ahh, I know this addiction... this feeling - oh I need these beads, and fibers and wool and... Fun post and makes me long for felting, too...

Mitsy / ArtMind said...

Wow, looks incredible fun! Love the colors! :)

AnniKae said...

Thanks for the great tips on felt. You have a beautiful Etsy shop. You're welcome to visit my blog anytime...

www.anni-kae.blogspot.com

The Jeweled Postcard said...

Beautiful colors! Thank you for the great tip where to buy, because I can't find it around here either :( I just do a little felting here and there (don't make it to sell) Found you through my friend "vintage inspired jewelry" and am following you now!
candy